Can you read the above image? Many of your students probably can! They are also communicating with one another using these QR-Codes and unless you can read them, you have no idea what they are saying!!! Scary? Perhaps. Exciting and bursting with possibilities? ABSOLUTELY!
- So, here’s your mission: You need to locate a free : QR-Reader to decode the message I’ve placed into the above image. You can do it on your computer or by using a free app and your phone’s camera.
- The first person to tell me what the message is will receive a Classy Black PATINS Zippered Bag full of Assistive Tech Trial Software!
- If you can not only decipher the message, but also create your own QR Coded Message and send one back to me, in addition to receiving the bag, I’ll dedicate the next blog posting entirely to the topic of YOUR choice!
Some “Coding” Tools You may find helpful:
- A free QR Code Generator and Reader: http://qrcode.kaywa.com (I created the above QR Code with this one)
- Another Free Reader I’m currently trying on my iPhone: www.neoreader.com (This one will also create codes)
2.5 Year Old Uses iPad: (Thanks John!) http://laughingsquid.com/a-2-5-year-old-uses-an-ipad-for-the-first-time
Concept Mapping: Don’t forget about Bubbl and MyWebspiration (both free). I got this question from several folks this week looking for free concept mapping tools.
Tour The Island Video: Take a video tour of the entire PATINS Project Second Life Island even if you haven’t yet created an avatar. This is a recording of the tour I gave during the 48 hour Virtual Worlds Best Practices In Education Conference that more than 5000 avatars attended on March 12-13: www.patinsproject.com/Videos/VWBPE2010IslandTour
Quick EASY Accommodation for MS Word: …nice little video tutorial from our friend David Davis in Florida: www.efdlrs.com/~videos/word_overlay
Xtranormal: Create Animations/Movies! So much fun! www.xtranormal.com
iPods In YOUR School?
- There are several videos about using iPods in education at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6LlA2SztY8
- Here are some links to schools using iPods and the results: http://t4.jordan.k12.ut.us/t4/content/view/212/37/
- 100 ways to use your iPod to study and learn better: http://oedb.org/library/beginning-online-learning/100-ways-to-use-your-ipod-to-learn-and-study-better
- An excellent slide show about many potential uses for iPods in education (A Classroom in Your Pocket): http://www.slideshare.net/gpoli/a-classroom-in-your-pocket-ipods-in-education
- A nice article about schools that ban iPod use: http://www.macworld.com/article/57743/2007/05/ipodban.html
Kindergarten.com has 24 FREE Apps (Thanks Jim): Download from iTunes app store. These are only free for April (Autism Awareness Month). Search for Kindergarten.com or
Register For the Tech Expo on April 20, 2010 HERE (you have to decode the QR Code)
Tags: accomodation, animate, App, apps, Avatar, Barcode, Code, concept, concept mapping, Free, iPad, island, kindergarten, kindergarten.com, mapping, Microsoft, Neo, Neo Reader, PATINS, QR, QR-Code, Second Life, SL, tech expo, Tour, video, Word, Xtranormal