Hard to believe we’re 1 semester down already in the 2010-2011 school year! I hope you are all enjoying some relaxing time with family and friends, so I’ll keep it short this week.
TapSpeak CHOICE: …another AAC CHOICE for the iPad. at $99, this deserves a look! As soon as I can establish enough iTunes credit I plan on doing so myself and posting my thoughts. In the meantime: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tapspeak-choice-for-ipad/id408507581?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
SpaceKraft iPod Switch: A cool, simple, wireless switch interface for the iPod! Check it out: www.spacekraft.co.uk/shops/sk/Product.aspx?cref=PD1682800
“Online Professional Development is Key to Infrastructure for Learning ” Here’s a quote from this interesting article in Tech & Learning:
“The importance of online professional development training is evident through these benefits:
- flexibility and versatility
- potential to build community among teachers and across groups
- new possibilities for accountability
- improvement of teacher retention by enabling teachers to become more directly involved in their own learning and professional growth, and
- blended professional development makes the most of the access to technology, combining online and face-to-face interaction.”
READ the article for yourself here: www.techlearning.com/article/34862
Remember PATINS is providing many free online training opportunities to you that include PGP Points: www.patinsproject.com/training.html
Replacing a Pile of Textbooks with an iPad: Here’s an interesting article that was recently linked to on the PATINS Facebook account. It seems like I’ve also been talking to a lot of you recently about the pros & cons of replacing textbooks with something like an iPad. Thought this article was definitely worth a quick read. It’s this sort of interactive, collaborative and on-the-go learning that I believe needs to replace the traditional reading of printed textbooks at most educational institutions. One thing we have to keep in mind is accessibility. Digital does not equate to accessible. This must remain a priority and a question we ask first.
- Here’s the link directly to Inkling, mentioned in the article: www.inkling.com