PATINS TTA (Targeted Technical Assistance) Grant Selections Announced! The PATINS Project thanks all districts who applied for your interest in the 2011-2012 Accessible Instructional Materials (AIM) Targeted Technical Assistance Grant. Congratulations to the districts who have been chosen to participate in this year’s grant process.
A few applications were not considered because they were only partially completed. However; this is an on-going grant opportunity and we will be considering the provision of more grants to interested school districts throughout this school year. So, if you wish to reapply for this grant, please watch for the next opportunity which will be posted to the IDOE Learning Connection, here on this blog and on the PATINS Website.
A Listing of Some Funding/Grant Sources : www.especialneeds.com/funding-resources-special-needs-adaptive-equipment.html
Hacking Autism in California: (Thanks Chris) http://www.hackingautism.org/#/apps
iOS 5: Just in case you didn’t know yet, iOS 5 is now available to update your iPads, iPhones and iTouches and has some really nice accessibility features added, among other nice upgrades. However, it can take a very long time to update depending on what you have on the device that needs to be backed up/restored. My iPhone took 4.5 hours last night. My iPad is taking about a hour and a half this morning.
Some nice features include messaging between devices (not text messaging) which could be a very powerful tool in classrooms. I also like the new wireless syncing and cloud based storage which could be big news for students accessing things like textbooks on the go. Lots of other nice upgrades & features too: www.apple.com/ios
- Accessibility Features of iOS5 (of particular interest to me is the increased attention paid to physical access and custom gestures): www.apple.com/accessibility
Social Networking for Education:I had very interesting and on-going conversations this week with a couple different educators in NE Indiana about the many benefits and potential dangers of utilizing the many very powerful social networking tools for education and then came across this listing. Top 20 Social Networks FOR EDUCATION: www.techlearning.com/Default.aspx?tabid=67&EntryId=2980
FETC Virtual Conference: October 27, 10:30am – 6pm
- Register: http://vts.inxpo.com/scripts/InXpo.nxp?LASCmd=AI:4;F:QS!10100&ShowKey=6890&AffiliateKey=13793&AffiliateData=NXF2
- Attendee Guide: https://presentations.inxpo.com/Shows/1105/FETC/10-27-11/Guides/ComingSoon.html
TextHelp Announces WEB APPS: See them in action in this video: Web Apps in action
iPad Case Studies: in Victoria Australia: http://www.ipadsforeducation.vic.edu.au/ipad-education-case-studies/10-warringa-park-school
Lisa Nielson’s 5 Favorite MATH RESOURCES for learners who hate math: http://www.techlearning.com/Default.aspx?tabid=67&EntryId=3055
Weekly TIPS! Are you remembering to check out the Weekly Tips & Tricks each PATINS Site Coordinator is posting to his/her Regional Page on the PATINS Website? There are some good ones! Be sure to check back each week! www.patinsproject.com
- www.myskillbott.com — 21st Century / Soft [Employability] Skills Training; and
- www.apangea.com — 3 Levels of Intervention (latter 2 comes with LIVE, Certified Math Teachers ONLINE).
- www.texthelp.com — a TRUE RTI Tools…a “Swiss Army Knife” of features, for example, if you have a Blind Student then you can take all their work and create a File for their MP3 Player, etc., etc., etc.
- www.eyecuereadingreadiness.com — teaches ‘fluency’ skills by using ‘colors, shapes, coins, picture, etc.
Tags: Accessible Instructional Materials, AIM, App, apple, apps, ASD, autism, Conference, disabilities, Facebook, FETC, Fund, Funding, Grant, hacking autism, iOS, iOS 5, iOS5, iPad, iphone, iPod, itouch, Math, money, PATINS, social networking, special needs, Spectrum, Touch, TTA, virtual