header image

2/17/2012: A Couple iPad Tips, New Reading Accommodations Tool, Final 2 of 6 Ways to Create iPad Content, New AAC Tool, New Interstate Webinar, Call for State Conference Proposals,

Posted by: | February 17, 2012 | No Comment |

2 iPad Tips:  Two iPad-things happened to me this week that were more than slightly frustrating and the solutions quite simple.  So, I thought I’d share in hopes of helping others avoid future headaches!

1. My iPad stopped making all noises: I had checked all of my settings, performed hard and soft reboots, and yes, I even made sure the volume was turned up and still my iPad was not making any sounds!  I even did a full restore, which did not work.  No keyboard clicks, no lock/unlock screen noise, no email arriving dings, text message boings, etc., BUT Voiceover was working.  I was at a loss for about a week and was beginning to think my iPad was faulty or damaged, until… I came across the solution!    If you select “Use Side Switch to:” lock rotation when previously it was set to Mute, and your side switch WAS in the mute position WHEN you switched the toggle from mute to rotation, it thinks that it’s still on mute!
    THE
      solution was simply to flip the switch to the UNMUTE position, go into settings and select “Use side switch to: MUTE” (then switch it back to lock rotation if you’d like, BUT don’t play w/ the side toggle while doing so).
  2. My iPad told me it was damaged and needed an Apple Store:  After I get iPads returned from loans, I restore them to their previous state as a normal part of the routine before they go out to the next borrower.  Well, upon finishing the restore on Wednesday, I got a message on my iPad that it was damaged, could not be activated and would need to be returned to an Apple Store.  WHAT?  It was working fine 10 minutes ago.  WELL, I realized eventually that the Apple Activation servers were down!  All I needed to do was wait a couple of hours and then the iPad re-activated fine.  So, if you happen to get this message on your iDevices, there MAY not actually be anything wrong with it.  

The Final (almost) 2 of  the 6  Mostly Free, Easy, Fun Ways to Get Books/Content on Your iPad:

1. Use MS Powerpoint on Mac or PC: Download PPT To iBooks as PDF Step By Step
  2. Use iAuthor on a Mac Computer: OK, so this is definitely my favorite!   VERY cool!  BUT, even though it’s free, it’s only for Mac computers.  AND, I have not had time this week to finish my exploration of iAuthor on my Mac computer.  So, I’ll delay this until next week.

A New Assessment Tool for Selecting Appropriate Reading Accommodations!

PAR was developed in collaboration with Denise DeCoste, author of the widely embraced Assistive Technology Assessment: Developing a Writing Productivity Profile and Linda Bastiani Wilson. They’re desire was to create a repeatable and systematic assessment process that would not only provide concrete documentation you can use for IEP meetings, but also outline evidence-based practices you can use to make decisions about selecting a suitable reading accommodation for a student being considered.

What’s Included:

• Protocol—guides you in collecting data to compare independent reading, reading with a human reader and reading with a text reader
  • Reading Samples—provides eight reading passages (four narrative, four expository) and vocabulary questions for each grade level, grades 3rd through 10th
  • Quizzes—contains comprehension quizzes for each reading passage—factual, topic related, inferential and vocabulary
  • Multiple Formats—reading passages are available in Word and ePUB so that you can use them in Bookstream (Don Johnston’s cloud-based reading distribution system) or within your current text reader
  • To get your free PAR:  Protocol for Accommodations in Reading Download from Don Johnston, Inc. go to  www.donjohnston.com/products/par/index.html

PATINS State Conference 2012 LogoCall For Proposals OPEN!   Doing something exciting related to Access To The Curriculum, Accessible Instructional Materials. or Assistive Technologies in your district?  Your School?  Your Classroom?  Consider sharing your experiences and expertise with other Indiana Educators at the PATINS 2012 State Conference, Nov. 8-9, 2012!  Call For Presentation Proposals is now open and selected presenters will have their conference registration fees waived! Click here to submit a proposal!

OCALI-MITS-PATINS-Small Logo

District-Wide AT Planning: A View From 40,000 Feet Webinar

Thursday, February 23, 2012   3:00 – 4:00 pm EST

Description: Assistive technology (AT) supports have traditionally been considered on a case-by-case basis within the scope of a student’s IEP. It is necessary to consider and assess the need for AT individually for appropriate alignment of student needs with AT features and supports. Unfortunately, it has not worked well for the actual implementation phase of the AT process in school settings. This system often delays student access to needed AT due to the time involved in pursuing and implementing individual funding, training, setup and integration within already existing school technology.  This OCALI webinar will discuss a comprehensive system of district-wide planning for AT implementation that allows students quicker access to needed AT supports.  Included in the presentation is a demonstration of a tiered model of AT supports. Consideration for multi-environment implementation for “anytime anywhere” access to AT will also be discussed.  This webinar is appropriate for administrators, AT specialists, classroom teachers, related services providers and others interested in the “big picture” implementation of AT services within their district.

•  During the 2011-2012 school year, the Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence (OCALI), in collaboration with Michigan’s Integrated Technology Supports (MITS) and Promoting Achievement through Technology and Instruction for All Students (PATINS) will provide a series of webinars that focus on assistive technology (AT), accessible instructional materials and universal design for learning (UDL).
  •  Space is limited.
  • Reserve your Webinar seat now.
  • [ Learn more and register ] or at: http://www.ocali.org/view.php?nav_id=103

IMPROV: Being a huge fan of word-prediction, and especially co:writer, as a classroom teacher, I wanted to make sure everyone knows about the new AAC tool from Don Johnston that is based on Co:Writer!   Check it out here:

Remember To Register… for the PATINS Tech Expo on April 19, 2012!

under: Uncategorized
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a response

Your response:

Categories