My subscription to Edublogs was on the blink so I am republishing last weeks post just in case.
Happy 2nd Semester!
Last year I noticed that many of my blogs had a Top 10 list. I felt left out, so I did one too! Here is the 2nd annual list of 10 things that I learned over the winter break.
- I renewed my CPR certificate and found out that if you are assisting someone, they are no longer having a “heart attack” or “cardiac arrest”, we are to just call it a “heart episode”.
- The American Heart Association has a 100 beats per minute Spotify Play List on their website to use when doing Hands-Only CPR. Download it to your playlists and you can have some crazy beats to help you keep time! “Stayin’ Alive” is not on the list.
- The “Achieving a Better Life Experience Act of 2014 (ABLE Act of 2014)” was signed into effect by President Obama on December 19th. This law removes a “penalty” that caused people with disabilities who saved more than $2,000 to fail to qualify or risk the loss of their Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Medicaid and other benefits. For more information on how this law may effect your students and their families start HERE.
- quietube = The BEST YouTube viewing app EVER! http://quietube.com/ clean, simple and it will give you a tinyurl too! Quit reading and go try it. Be sure to watch the Marmoset video in the example!
- For my science teaching friends – Matt Miller and his “Ditch That Textbook” blog brings you 11 class activities with sensors you didn’t know your phone had I didn’t know it had all of those!
- A fun and informative top 10 list from 21st Century Educational Technology and Learning both informed me and made me laugh. Dihydrogen monoxide still makes me laugh too! Facts About Dihydrogen Monoxide, dihydrogen monoxide hoax
- I also learned how to create a Jeopardy style game in Google spreadsheets! Thank you Free Technology for Teachers!
- HIMS has HUGE price cuts on their demo models (Braille Sense OnHand – $2000.00 off!)
- I can go a full day without a computer or a phone, but people check up on me when I do!
- There is a new student centered education-based search engine out there called InstaGrok. Read about it here.
- Best Tech device – Firefly Electric Attachable Handcycle for Wheelchair! – It is currently unavailable, but I bet it wouldn’t be hard to make!