PATINS Accessible Pledge
Accessible Instruction: EVERY Educator’s Responsibility
What did your students do today? Read a textbook or a chapter? Take a pop quiz? Imagine you are given a reading assignment or told to take out a blank sheet of paper for a quiz… but are unable to read the page of a textbook or physically handle a pencil. Every educator impacts students, but are they able to effectively reach ALL their students? Anyone working with students with disabilities who fails to provide accessible instruction and materials is inadvertently building barriers to learning. Please watch the video and then take the pledge! Once you have completed the pledge which is only 4 questions, then your name goes into a drawing for an IPAD 2 to be drawn the first week in January 13th. Join the PATINS Project as we take the Accessible Instruction Pledge.
I pledge to do my part to bring accessible instruction to all students.
By completing this form, I pledge that at every opportunity I will…
- Understand the individual needs and abilities of learners to ensure that my instruction is accessible to all students
- Advocate for accessible instructional materials
- Choose to purchase materials that have accessible versions available
- Create documents and handouts that can be read and completed using assistive technology
- Support others in their efforts to learn more about supplying accessible instructional materials
- Maintain an accessible website
Myths About Students Using Their Own Devices: If you’ve ever heard me speak, you’ve likely heard me say many of these same things. I particularly like #5 on this list with regard to students and teachers being able to access content at school: http://thejournal.com/Articles/2011/11/09/7-BYOD-Myths.aspx?Page=2
Affordable CCTV (Thanks Vicki): You can watch a video of how to use a webcam with the upcoming ZoomText version 10 to turn your computer into an affordable CCTV.
A Few Note Taking Apps:
- SoundNote (can be used similarly to a LiveScribe Pen): http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/soundnote/id364789577?mt=8
- NoteMaster: (free lite version or 3.99) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notemaster-for-ipad/id409275846?mt=8
- Notability: (.99) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/notability-handwriting-note/id360593530?mt=8
- PaperDesk: (free lite version or 3.99) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paperdesk/id367552067?mt=8
- Omicron Notes: (4.99) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/omicronnotes-probably-best/id392039438?mt=8
- Writings: (4.99) http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/writings/id386276831?mt=8
Don’t Forget to Use Keyboard Shortcuts: ….use them whenever you can to eventually work faster and free your hand up from using that mouse all the time. I borrowed this image from a friend on Facebook and thought it was a great little visual to help you remember 3 of the most basic Keyboard Shortcuts. Of course, on the Mac, just change the CTRL to CMD and they work just the same!
New Equipment For Loan From the PATINS Libraries! Remember, it’s always free and easy to borrow from us! Just go here:
- A Few more iPads!
- Sensor Switch Evaluation Kit
- Aumed Aumex LCD Color Video Magnifier
- Mount n Mover Complete Evaluation Kit
- Dynavox Maestro
- Pebble Portable CCTV
- Motorola Xoom
- Samsung Galaxy TAB
- TextSpeak TS Wireless AAC
- Optelec Clear Reader