Low Tech Mainstream AT: I saw this photograph floating around on a social media network from a colleague this week and wanted to share it. It not only represents a great idea for keeping your many cables where you want them, it also represents the fact that great assistive technology does not have to be expensive, might be right next to you, and can often assist far more people than only those with disabilities.
ZoomReader: (Thanks Sandy) An OCR (Optical Character Recognition) App for iPhone only. Not free, but can allow a user to photograph text with the iPhone’s camera and then have that text read to them. I haven’t fully tested this app yet, but so far it seems to be the best one I’ve found. At this point, it does not work for iPad though. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zoomreader/id414117816?mt=8
A Touchscreen Braille Writer! Cool: However, the video on this site is a Flash video so don’t bother trying to watch it on your iPad or iPhone, unless you have a third party Flash viewer app installed such as the two listed below.
- Video: http://engineering.stanford.edu/news/stanford-summer-course-yields-touchscreen-braille-writer
- Third Party Flash Video Viewer Apps:
- Skyfire: $2.99 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skyfire-web-browser/id384941497?mt=8
- Photon Browser: $4.99 http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photon-flash-web-browser-app/id430200224?mt=8
Upcoming Free PATINS Trainings:
- Next Week! App Party Thursday!
- THIS Monday! Read:OutLoud, Get Started Now!
- 10/25 Tuesday: A Look At eReaders and NIMAS Files:
- 10/27 iPad eReader Apps & NIMAS Files:
- Nov 7: Kurzweil 3000 Basics:
- See them all here:
Some Apps For Literacy: (Thanks Jim)
Lots More Apps for Everything! (Thanks Jim)
Using PPT for Switch Scanning: …of course, is nothing new, but the fact that it can often be done very quickly and very cheaply (if not free) makes it worth mentioning again. I have recently gotten some questions about simple, free, easy beginning switch games. Here’s a couple helpful links. The first is to a very nice posting on another blog about setting up either single or dual switch scanning with Powerpoint and the second is a link back to a listing of online switch games that I posted awhile back.
Save The Date
2012 PATINS Tech Expo! April 19th
@ Marriott East Indianapolis (Free Parking!)
REGISTER at PATINS Website: Starting In January!